On Tuesday, August 28, 2012, my Papa went to heaven. I was extremely fortunate to grow up about 1/2 mile from my grandparents (my mom's parents), and Holly and I were so close to them our entire lives. Even when I left for college, I continued to talk with Grandmother & Papa about 3 times a week and see them very regularly. Grandmother and Papa made and continue to make a huge impact on my life.
I have so many memories, including many trips to major league baseball games and Six Flags/amusement parks with G & P. Grandmother, Papa, Holly & I went to St. Louis and Atlanta multiple times, Houson, Chicago, Cincinnati, and Denver. We also took a three week trip out West when I was in middle school where we saw the Grand Canyon, Redwood Forrest, Yellowstone National Park, Jackson Hole, WI, and spent several days in Las Vegas seeing shows. We even saw Siegfried and Roy! We would spend almost every Friday night with them in elementary school where we would often stay at the lake and have bon fires and go on nature walks. Holly and I are the only grandchildren, and we are so lucky to have had that time with Papa.
Visiting Papa & Grandmother in Florida in February 2011. They went to Florida every winter for 20 years for several months. Papa would fish, and Grandmother played cards, line danced, and many other activities. They went for the last time in the winter of 2012 where they sold their place there.
Easter 2011 in Bruceton. G & P with Mama, Holly, Jason, Brian, Logan and me.
Summer 2010. Celebrating four generations with a newborn Logan.
G & P at my college graduation from the U of M in 2004. Papa was so proud.
When I told G & P that I was expecting a baby (Logan!), Papa cried tears of joy all day. It was early in the pregnancy, and I asked him not to share with anyone yet. However, he had to call his friend/fishing buddy from Florida (who lives in East TN during the non-winter months!) and tell him how proud he was to have a great grandchild on the way. He loved Logan so much, and he and Grandmother told everyone they saw about him. He and Grandmother spent many hours talking about Logan and what he might be doing at any given time. Papa would say he was always eating, sleeping, or running!The entire family was together to celebrate Grandmother's 80th birthday the weekend before Papa passed away. We had a great time at the Paris Winery, and Papa was feeling pretty well. The day before he passed away, he drove himself to the local farmer's market and out in the country to look at his land. Logan actually talked to Papa on the phone that night and told him all about getting wet at the sprinkler park. I got to talk to him the morning he passed away, and he sounded like he felt as well as he had in a while. The last thing he said to me was in reference to his conversation with Logan the previous night, and he said "Let me tell you something. They don't stay that way long."
Papa and Grandmother were married for 59 years, and I know she misses him terribly. I pray that God continues to comfort her during this difficult time.
I am so thankful to have had Papa's influence in my life, and I will forever cherish my memories with him. Logan still asks about Papa and says he is with Jesus in heaven, and it warms my heart. Logan will grow up knowing all about his Papa as his memory will live on in me and those who loved him.

No comments:
Post a Comment