Logan asks questions constantly. If I say a word he does not know the meaning of, he immediately asks what it means. He wants to know how things work and why. He also likes to know the "plan" for whatever we are doing- whether it is a new school routine, what we are doing over the weekend and when, or just what our plan for the day will be. I have found that from a very early age, Logan responds much better to all situations if I go over the details beforehand.
The past year has been a hard one in many ways with my Dad (Logan's Papa Coburn) being so sick and then passing away in February. Logan is very sensitive and aware of my feelings and has asked a ton of questions. I have been really honest and not shielded him from how painful it has been because death is something that will always be part of life here on earth. I'm pretty sure he thinks that everyone dies of cancer, and he still asks me regularly how Papa Coburn got cancer and how people get cancer. Logan (along with others) has helped me get through one of the hardest times in my life, and I am so grateful to him. He still talks about Papa Coburn regularly, and I do not want that to change. I want Logan to remember that he was much more than cancer! This terrible situation has given us a lot of opportunity to talk about God, Jesus and Heaven. My mother-in-law bought Logan "Heaven is for Real for Kids" because of his many, many questions and need to understand everything. Honestly, that book has helped both of us.
Logan loved playing withe live crawfish before they were cooked!
This year Logan completed Junior K and learned so much. He can write all of his letters, and he is beginning to sound out words at the very early reading stage. They also learned some math this year, and he is always wanting to add and subtract small numbers. I hope he always has a thirst for knowledge like he does now! He wants to know everything: why, what, and how. We have decided to hold off on Kindergarten this year due to Logan's July birthday. It has been a decision I am still questioning! Logan is very smart, and I know that he is academically ready for Kindergarten. However, I think that with boys' maturity typically coming at a later age, it will be better when he hits preteen and teenage years to be on the older end of the class. Plus, schools are pushing the birthday start date back every year with private schools in Memphis now requiring age 5 by June. So, we are sticking with holding off a year! He will certainly miss his JK friends who are moving into SK at St. Luke's this year! Luckily, he will be right next door.
Logan loves boat-riding and especially swimming in the lake/river
One of Logan's favorite things is Star Wars, and this is definitely something he gets from his Daddy. He has seen all of the movies at this point, and his favorite book is "Star Wars: The Ultimate Action Figure Collection." He has spent countless hours pouring over all of the action figures and characters, and it is amazing how much he knows. He always wants to "play Star Wars" where we pretend to be characters. He will only let me be girl characters, and those are fairly limited on the dark side!
Ready for church
Logan had his 5 year old check-up a couple of weeks ago, and he is 3 ft., 11 inches tall and weighs 54 pounds. He is still way off the growth charts for his age, and it looks like he will be a very tall adult!
One of my favorite times with Logan continues to be lying down with him at night. He says he always wants me to lie down with him, and I know that one day his opinion will change! During this time is when I get the most information from him about his day, what happened at school, or what he is thinking. I treasure that time with him!
This sweet boy loves to be outside
He melts my heart!
Here's a collage of Logan over the years. I cannot believe how he has grown!

No comments:
Post a Comment