Sunday, June 27, 2010

It's a Boy! Now for a Name...

On February 17, 2010, we learned that we were expecting a baby BOY! We were thrilled. Some women say they knew it was a boy/girl all along, but I did not really have those strong feelings about our baby's gender. So, it was kind of a surprise with the ultrasound technician said immediately she could tell it was a boy. We shared the news with family and friends right away and began preparing for him!

Next, we had to decide what we were going to name our baby boy. We created a list of first names and debated on them for a long time. We tried to decide on a boy and a girl name before we found out the gender, but that was too difficult. Brian said I approached naming our baby like I approach shopping- I will find something I like, but I still look around for hours (sometimes days or weeks) to make sure that it is the right thing to purchase for the occasion. On the other hand, he also approached naming our baby like he approaches shopping- he finds something he likes and goes ahead and makes a decision on the spot.

So, we agreed to wait to resume conversations about names until after we found out the gender. Logan was on our list of names that both Brian and I liked from the beginning. One night Brian told me that he liked the name Logan best of all, and I agreed. However, I still had to "try it out" for a few days before we shared it with anyone else. Finally, we were sure it was the perfect name for our baby boy and started telling family and friends!

The middle name was easy- we actually had it decided before the first name. Logan's middle name is going to be James after his late Great Uncle James Edgar Higdon. I always grew up hearing stories about my Uncle James, but I never got the chance to meet him. He passed away at the age of 21 in a car accident the year before I was born- in September 1980. James was the son of my grandparents, Stanley and Betty Higdon, and the brother of my mom Janet and my aunt Alice. Even though I never met James, I feel like I know him well. Every time we have family gatherings, James is brought up in one way or another. He is still missed terribly by those who loved him almost 30 years later, and we wanted to honor his memory by naming our son after him. Logan James Tucker will grow up knowing his Great Uncle James just as I have, and we are honored to have Logan named after such a great guy.

Here is James's senior picture- he graduated from Central High School in Bruceton in 1977.


1 comment: